CCAT is modernizing its outreach processes -- a sign of the times, you could say. We're gradually phasing out printed flyers and calendars in favor of online distribution, both to save on ink and paper and because that's what our audience has become increasingly reliant upon. Even in Humboldt, it's more and more common to hear that people learn about our events not through our printed publications but through Facebook, HSU Now, and other online/social media outlets.
The Publicist's job is to spread CCAT news and events through these channels and, if possible, to improve our methodology (for example, by making it easier to cross-post to different services). Reliability and timeliness are absolutely essential. Technical know-how can be helpful as well.
During this transitional phase, the Publicist may also be asked to put up some flyers, do some chalking for major events, and perform other outreach-oriented tasks as time permits.
- Advertising CCAT news and events through:
- The ccathsu.com website
- The humboldt.edu events calendar
- CCAT's Google Calendar
- Weekly university notices (HSU Now)
- Monthly emails to the CCAT mailing list (using MailChimp)
- The North Coast Journal and the Arcata Eye's events calendars
- New avenues as they become available
- Distributing printed flyers (occasionally)
- Creating chalk art for major CCAT events (rarely)
- Skill and time permitting, improving our social media management software to make posting to multiple channels easier
General CCAT duties for all employees
- Attend regular employee and branch meetings
- Assist in tabling and outreach efforts
- Assist in the preparation of volunteer and employee meals a few times a semester
- Assist other employees, volunteers, and Co-Directors as necessary
- Must be an HSU student during your employment
- Must be responsible, reliable, and timely. Because the success of our events depends on timely outreach, you must be able to keep to reasonable deadlines.
- Facebook event creation experience, especially for a "Page"
- Familiarity with WordPress
- Familiarity with MailChimp
- Bonus: PHP or similar web programming experience
Schedule and Pay
- 8 hours / week
- $10 / hour
- Flexible scheduling, to be coordinated with Co-Directors and your branch
Please visit the application page at: